My Photo
Name:
Location: MInneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am now a simple Grandpa who's life is made richer as each grandchild is born. My wife and I have raised five children and the 30 year love labor of raising them has begun to yield sweet fruit..... And then there are fruits of 30 years in ministry ... I am a satisfied old man full of the joy of the Lord.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Professors Hold Unfavorable View Towards Evangelicals


Nathan Burchifiel a staff writer for CNS News.com has written of a study released a few days ago by the Institute for Jewish and Community Research (IJCR) The results of polling more than 1200 university faculty members found that 53% of them have "cool" or "unfavorable" feelings toward evangelicals. Evangelicals are about one-third of the American population.

Yet these same faculty members had "warm" or "favorable" feelings towards Muslims. 41 % had good feelings about atheists. Non-evangelical Christians and Catholics earned a 60 % favorable rating from the professors.

This is all very interesting to me. I often hear of faculty that give openly evangelical students lower grades and sometimes tough work assignments. I have to encourage them to be open and forthright about their beliefs.

The study states that, "As it was of Jews on campus two generations ago, maybe evangelical Christians do not want to talk openly about their identities and beliefs. The prejudice against them stands out prominently in institutions dedicated to liberalism, tolerance, and academic freedom."

In the study, more than 70% of the faculty interviewed said that the United States " would be better off if Christian fundamentalists kept their religious beliefs out of politics." Why? So that our "poison" doesn't infect your 1.2 children? Give me a break !

These sort of items help to sanctify me from any expectations of "higher education."

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

It's a hard thing, but a college degree is just a scam in this day and age. You pay a fortune for a college professor to give you special treatment based on your ethnicity, or discriminate based on your theology.

A college degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on anymore.

12:00 PM, May 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Expectations?? Of the system? There are none to be had. Short of rivival, there is only the diamond in the rough. "Did you rub my lamp?! 10,000 years in a bottle will give ya such a crick in the neck!" -- Aladdin

4:43 PM, May 17, 2007  
Blogger Timm said...

That's a shame, but the way I see it, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me." - Mathew 24:9

I imagine they will start going from an unfavorable view of us to a hatred for us sometime in the near future.

Good site, I'll check back. Found a link to you at echozoe.com

8:34 AM, May 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home