My Photo
Name:
Location: MInneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am now a simple Grandpa who's life is made richer as each grandchild is born. My wife and I have raised five children and the 30 year love labor of raising them has begun to yield sweet fruit..... And then there are fruits of 30 years in ministry ... I am a satisfied old man full of the joy of the Lord.

Monday, May 23, 2005

My Son's Graduation (Values And Virtue)

Yesterday we celebrated my youngest child's graduation from High School. We, like all good families, bought him an iPod. ;-) He has done a good job of keeping it together and finishing the race and we are proud of him. He plans to go to the U of MN and major in constitutional law.

This means that, after 21 years of tuition payments totaling around $210,000, I finally wrote my last check to the school. Putting five children through private schools is not easy or cheap. Of course this is on top of my regular income and property and sales, etc. taxes that I pay as every citizen of the US does.

I just couldn't, in good conscience, put any of my children in the public schools. They were not an option 21 years ago and they are not an option now. What good does it do a country to teach reading, writing, and arithmetic, and not teach virtue? "Who's virtue", you ask? "My idea of virtue" I reply. The schools do not teach absolute virtue anymore. They teach relative virtue. And as a result, they do not even have the power to teach the 3 R's.

Virtue and values are vital to any society. If you have them, you can have a peaceful and prosperous society. If you do not have them, then it makes no difference what level the people can read at. There will not be peace. Strife will be everywhere.

Now the only question is, whose values and virtue do we choose?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Bruce! Just think of the return on your investment in the years to come! I think you'll see quite a bit of "appreciation."

10:28 PM, May 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your achievements!

Virtues, values are taught at home mainly with the everyday example. Children learn ethics, skills, knoledge at school. America has great public schools, depending on the area you live. I am proud and lucky to live in the Fairfax County area.

Good luck in life!

8:23 AM, May 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home