My Photo
Name:
Location: MInneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am now a simple Grandpa who's life is made richer as each grandchild is born. My wife and I have raised five children and the 30 year love labor of raising them has begun to yield sweet fruit..... And then there are fruits of 30 years in ministry ... I am a satisfied old man full of the joy of the Lord.

Monday, May 16, 2005

Blogging Some "Inside" Thoughts

Some events lately have helped to mature my thinking about why I am blogging. As time goes on, the curious readers, who once wanted to know what I was up to, have stopped reading the blog. (It never ceases to amaze me about who does read the blog and where do they find the time and why did they care?) These readers who are dropping off are mostly people who are in relationship to me as part of the church or even members of my family.

The novelty has worn off. And although I might have something useful or helpful to say from time to time, they soon find out that I am not the source of their daily happiness or spiritual manna for the day. Actually this is good. My purpose for blogging is not to become the guru for the next generation. That would be counter productive in the Kingdom of God. He alone is the wise King.

Instead, my goal should be to simply be a light shining in the darkness, giving hope and some direction and encouragement, to others who are on the journey to Jesus.

But the lovely thing about our weaknesses, our limitations, is that they work for our good and the glory of the God we know through Christ. The light we have for the world is a light that God has made to shine in our hearts; it didn't rise from us. It is treasure God put in "jars of clay" to show that the power is from him and so the glory should be his. (2 Corinthians 4:6-7)


If the "arrows" on my blog site don't point to Jesus then I am making a big mistake and should stop blogging.
Someone ( I think it was James Denney) once said, "No one can, at the same time, show himself to be clever and glorify Jesus Christ."

Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise! (Revelation 5:12)
Yet, the blog continues to grow. Losing the first wave of readers and developing a second layer of people who, I think, come for two main reasons. First, there are those who come because they are watching what the "competition" is doing and then second, and more importantly, there are those who are slowly being added because they find here something that gives them hope and encouragement in their daily walk.

I live for the day that someone will say, "Thanks, that encouraged me. And now I have found a way to put my feet upon the Rock."

3 Comments:

Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Great quote about showing ourselves clever and glorifying God. I read your blog because you post worthwhile stuff. Please keep it up. Peace.

9:26 PM, May 24, 2005  
Blogger Wayne Leman said...

I was struck by the same quote Milton referred to. Thanks for posting about posting in a way that can have eternal value without brining glory to the wrong person(s).

9:00 PM, May 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People who see you daily see God in your actions. Those who read blogs cannot see you face to face but can see your references. You are touching others in so many unknown ways.

Another thing about blogging, a person may not challenge you face to face when you live against what you say, but online I have found others will ask questions and seek deeper answers because of a comment written.

Thank you for desiring to glofify God in this manner.

7:23 PM, May 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home