My Photo
Name:
Location: MInneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am now a simple Grandpa who's life is made richer as each grandchild is born. My wife and I have raised five children and the 30 year love labor of raising them has begun to yield sweet fruit..... And then there are fruits of 30 years in ministry ... I am a satisfied old man full of the joy of the Lord.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

New Blog Series On "Worldviews" And Their Effect On Education

I am going to begin a series that I have had in my heart to do now since I started this blog. I don't think this series is going to define this blog but it is something close to my heart. I will continue to post on other issues as they come up and try to focus on this subject each Monday or Tuesday and then again on each Thursday or Friday. But, as my father used to say, "the world was not built by good intentions."

The subject is "Worldviews." Which up until about 1990 was not a very common term. Now it has become a buzz word that almost everybody has heard about but yet few people know what it is.

My adventure with worldviews began much earlier than most folks. I was familiar with Francis Shaeffer's "How Then Shall We Live?" from my college days in philosophy but never gave it much thought. But my life was going to turn a different way.

I was at one of the first seminars that Gary DeMar ever did. I studied Rosalie Slater's and Verna Hall's books. I read Marshall Foster's stuff. I loved the Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall. Stephen McDowell and Mark Beliles of the Providence Foundation are friends of mine. And this was all before 1980.

I have a copy of Scientific Creationism by Henry Morris in its original edition and was at some of his first seminars. (Before UPC codes were on worldview books.) I have been to Christian Economics seminars. I was on the original board of directors for the Minnesota Family Council. I have spent 6 days in an Atlanta jail and been sued twice for pro-life work. I have started and been the principal of a Christian school. And I am the father of five wonderful children.

Now, I say all of that not to say that I know anything, because you don't know, I might have been sleeping through all of it! I say all of this to simply make the point that I am not new to this subject and probably won't be convinced of conflicting viewpoints very easily or anytime in this lifetime. So, although your thoughts and comments are important, they probably won't teach me the errors of my ways. Anyhow, I really only have about 35 regular readers so I don't really expect to be overwhelmed by the response.

But, where should I start? Oh yes ! Worldviews. One of the best places to gain insight on worldviews is a place called Summit Ministries out in Colorado. Doctor David Noebel holds classes out there all summer for young people and adult training seminars throughout the year, whenever he is not traveling and speaking at the World View Weekends with Brannon Howse. He has written a classic book on this subject called, Understanding The Times.
All of my children have been out to Summit at least once and all want to go again (and again). This is pretty amazing because it is two weeks of classroom lectures. But the lectures are by all of the leading experts and about how the bible applies to all of life.

Now, I know that there is a high road and a low road to take about this subject. That is, there are intellects too big for the universe that talk about this stuff and the result is that only other academics have any idea what they are saying. I am not one of them. I respect them, and they can strain out the gnats. I am going to put all of this into plain language. I would say I will be writing at about the 8th grade level so most of our graduates from our public colleges and universities (like me) should be able to read and understand what I have to say. But from time to time I will probably say stuff that even hillbillies can understand.

I think I will stop here for tonight but I think at least we know where we are going and what the subject is going to be. Please do not bother to comment or email on my spelling, grammar, or punctuation as you will only serve to discourage me. I care little about looking good. But if you do enjoy this series please, by all means, encourage me and I will do the best I can.

2 Comments:

Blogger Headmistress, zookeeper said...

It sounds interesting. I'll be looking forward to it.

9:10 PM, March 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get thee to it! I'm looking forward to your posts and may appropriate some of them for our Youth & Family ministry.

12:16 AM, March 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home