My Photo
Name:
Location: MInneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am now a simple Grandpa who's life is made richer as each grandchild is born. My wife and I have raised five children and the 30 year love labor of raising them has begun to yield sweet fruit..... And then there are fruits of 30 years in ministry ... I am a satisfied old man full of the joy of the Lord.

Monday, March 14, 2005

The Difference Between Political And Evangelical Blogs

Conservapost, a blog by Dean Bonde, who is actually the owner of a successful business as well as the worship leader of our church, just finished a phone interview with Focus On The Family. They randomly chose him out of the blogasphere for an article they are doing on blogs. It is a modest one man blog that he started about the same time that I started mine. Dean chose to do a political/news blog (he has always been an information junkie) and I chose to do an evangelical blog.

I am not too interested in current events but I am fascinated by what lies underneath the news. What motivates the trends and what do the trends mean to mankind and my family? Thus the evangelical direction. With my degrees in philosophy and psychology and my career as a pastor, I guess what you see is what you get.

I have begun to notice a few trends or comparisons between Deans blog and my blog.
1. It looks like political blogs are more well read than evangelical blogs.
There are more people looking for "what" is going on than "why" it is happening.
2. It looks like political blogs are more reluctant to link and support one another.
Maybe this is the result of competition. You know, the competitive sport of "I know more facts about professional athletics than you do" syndrome. We have all met the guy who knows the box scores for all of professional baseball back through 1910 and wondered how he did that. I think the same thing applies to news. There is a fierce competition going on for information, as soon as it happens, and to report it first. There has to be a limit to this.
3. Evangelical blogs freely link together.
They are a community that enjoys each new addition. You almost get the idea that they might stop by your door with a cake and welcome you to the neighborhood.
4. I think we are just about at saturation point for political blogs and we are about to turn the corner to more philosophical, system analysis, trend reporting types of blogs.
One that just emailed me about their existence today is called "Right Reason" A large sort of think tank type of blog. (Who has time to read so many ideas and opinions?)

There are literally hundreds of newspapers on the streets of Iraq these days. Each home does not have its own computer (yet) so the printed media still is king. But in America, the computer is being coronated as king as I type this.

I guess my point is that opinion, political or evangelical, is common. The source of truth has not been discovered yet. The war of opinion is never ending. The peace of truth is waiting quietly for His day.

Dan 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, [even] to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I for one am happy to have you in the Evangelical Aggregator.

ChristWeb

12:22 AM, March 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home