My Photo
Name:
Location: MInneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am now a simple Grandpa who's life is made richer as each grandchild is born. My wife and I have raised five children and the 30 year love labor of raising them has begun to yield sweet fruit..... And then there are fruits of 30 years in ministry ... I am a satisfied old man full of the joy of the Lord.

Friday, April 07, 2006

Celtic Women And Cheesy Songs

My daughter and son-in-law bought tickets for my wife and I to go to the Celtic Women concert performance that was in town tonight. It was excellent. It is amazing how powerful the arts are at reaching into the heart of the people and touching even the hardest of souls.

I would have only one small complaint. Too many "We Are the World" type songs. If I remember right there were about 3 of this sort. And that is not counting the "You Lift Me Up" song. (I happen to like that one.) Utopia is not a subject that I am very fond of. As PT Barnum said, " A sucker is born every minute."

But while I am on the subject, let me just comment that these "We Are the World" type songs often have pseudo-Christian lyrics. And they are often, quite off the mark.

Have you ever looked up the words to "We Are the World? Two lines stand out to me. One is sung by Willie Nelson and it says "As god has shown us, by turning stones into bread." Let me ask you, where in the bible did god ever do that? Didn't satan tempt Jesus and tell him to do that? And Jesus refused. He said, "Man does not live by bread alone. But by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God." Another line in that song says, "There's a choice were making, were saving our own lives." I think Waylon Jennings walked out and refused to sing this. The original lyric of that was "there's a choice were making, were taking our own lives" And he wouldn't come back and sing it even after it was changed. Taking = suicide and saving = heresy.

I think there are many more lines of bad theology out there hidden in the middle of many popular songs. They sound like good words like "love each other" but they are full of deception. Maybe you could comment with some that you have found particularly distasteful ?

2 Comments:

Blogger The Charlebois said...

The one that pops to my mind isCold Play's popular song "Square One"...
You're in control is there anywhere you want to go?
You're in control is there anything you want to know?

11:13 AM, April 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

U2, the masters of mixing lyrics. Masters of getting away with it from both sides. I have heard many Christians wonder about the song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" particularly. I love most of the songs from this band. Turns out difficult to love just the music aside from the lyrics... go figure. Let me do this public service and post the lyrics to this song. Other topically notable songs from U2 are:

One
Pride (In the Name of Love)


And two that still pass my mustard are:

Walk On
Where the Streets Have No Name
----------------------------------


I have climbed highest mountain
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you

I have run
I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
These city walls
Only to be with you

But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for

I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in her fingertips
It burned like fire
This burning desire

I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone

But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for

I believe in the kingdom come
Then all the colors will bleed into one
Bleed into one
Well yes I’m still running

You broke the bonds and you
Loosed the chains
Carried the cross
Of my shame
Of my shame
You know I believed it

But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for...

2:49 PM, April 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home