My Photo
Name:
Location: MInneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am now a simple Grandpa who's life is made richer as each grandchild is born. My wife and I have raised five children and the 30 year love labor of raising them has begun to yield sweet fruit..... And then there are fruits of 30 years in ministry ... I am a satisfied old man full of the joy of the Lord.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

What Is With Some "Reformed" Christians?

I am a reformed charismatic. I hold to the "Sola's" I hold to about 4 1/2 point's of TULIP. But I will never understand why so many "reformed" people are so zealous about smoking cigars, drinking beer, and cussing.

Of course, I understand righteousness comes by faith and not by works. But why wear your vices as "hash marks" on the sleeves of your robes? I just don't get it. What good comes from it?

How do these things advance the kingdom of God? Shouldn't they be shed like an old garment? Is there any thought of others in the insistence of these rights? It just sounds like it is all about self. Many times some of these guys seem to be evangelistic in defense of what they do. As if they believe it to be a superior life form. Flaunting their "freedom."

Sure, all things are lawful, but not everything builds you up. I am not personally offended by such behavior, but it is something I left behind. I can live with folks like this. I just cannot understand them. Where, in their communion with the living God, do they see this as an example of life in the Spirit? The communion of the saints is around the body and blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Not cigars and beer and cussing.

2 Comments:

Blogger jeff said...

I do not hold a Reformed position in theology but I know some who do. One thing I know about Reformed types is that they know their stuff, they have plenty of head knowledge. People who know stuff generally feel they are hard to understand. I think, and this is just opinion based on observation, if you have head knowledge you feel you need to do something to be accessible. College professors tend to be eccentric so students will think they are cool and not nerds. Could be the same thing. Or it could just be enjoying blaming God for predestining them to get drunk.

6:03 AM, November 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong with beer? Darker varieties are full of antioxidants.

10:04 AM, December 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home