My Photo
Name:
Location: MInneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am now a simple Grandpa who's life is made richer as each grandchild is born. My wife and I have raised five children and the 30 year love labor of raising them has begun to yield sweet fruit..... And then there are fruits of 30 years in ministry ... I am a satisfied old man full of the joy of the Lord.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Campus Unable To Stop Binge Drinking

All over the nation universities are seeing an upward spike in binge drinking among students and they are impotent to slow it down let alone stop it. Every Friday night the U of MN campus takes off on a magical mystery tour that ends in the morning with vomit and beer cans littering the landscape. I have spoken about this in other posts last month.

There was an article in the Minneapolis (Red) Star and Tribune this week.
"Colleges at a loss to curb binge drinking"

Drinking is at an all time high and the schools are at wits end to know what is wrong or how to stop it.

WHAT IS WRONG? I'LL TELL YOU WHAT IS WRONG! YOU DESTROY THE HOPE OF YOUNG STUDENTS AND WONDER WHY THEY DRINK? HOW DO WE KILL THEIR HOPE YOU ASK? BY TELLING THEM THAT THERE IS NO GOD AND THAT THEY ARE THE PRODUCT OF ACCIDENTS OF NATURE.

Ideas have consequences ! The ideas presented here on this campus not only eliminate and exclude God they often do it violently and rudely. Young adults are left with little to believe in except making money and selfish ambition and like my generation they reject that. All that's left to do then is get high or commit suicide.

The drug of choice has changed back to the conservative drug of choice, alcohol. It is legal, it is everywhere, and it is socially accepted by just about everybody. It is as if we have returned to 1962 again. Just before a big revolution of the rejection of popular values. At that time I was as drunk as I could be without falling over because life seemed hopeless and meaningless.

I never found any hope in philosophy, science, politics, or religion. I had no hope until God Himself spoke to my heart in a personal way. He simply gave me the grace to know that He was there and there was a plan for my life. In less than 15 minutes I began a journey back to righteousness, peace, and joy. In less than 6 months I had completely walked away from all of that hopelessness and despair. In a year, many of my friends had also.

The only cure to the plague of alcohol on the campuses is hope. And Jesus is the anchor of our hope.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate that post! It's one thing for a 26 year old like myself to say something like that. People usually don't care what I think about this issue because I've never been a binge drinker, or drug user. But you're coming at it from the perspective of, "Been there, done that" and I think it's a very powerful position.

7:47 AM, October 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really need to get an account on here...

Anyways, you might enjoy this.

http://www.insidehighered.com/views/2005/09/30/elzinga

pulled from christianitytoday.com weblog

Stuart

4:21 PM, October 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home