My Photo
Name:
Location: MInneapolis, Minnesota, United States

I am now a simple Grandpa who's life is made richer as each grandchild is born. My wife and I have raised five children and the 30 year love labor of raising them has begun to yield sweet fruit..... And then there are fruits of 30 years in ministry ... I am a satisfied old man full of the joy of the Lord.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Jimmy Smith Dies

The master of the Hammond B-3 organ has passed the veil. He died in his home in Scottsdale, AZ on Febuary 8, of natural causes. He was born in 1925. He broke into the mainstream in 1957 at the Newport Jazz Festival. He came into my life in 1962.

I had just joined the Columbia Record Club and they sent me a great STEREO record player with an FM/AM radio (for free?). Now that might not mean much to you but to me it was a whole new world. Stereo had just hit the scene. Before this there was only Hi-Fi. There was no FM radio station in my town. But I soon moved to Memphis and they had a great FM station that broadcast in stereo.

Anyhow, I had to fufill my membership quota and Jimmy Smith was one of my first albums.
I picked a gem. Bashin': The Unpredictable Jimmy Smith. I would suggest that this is an essential album for any jazz collection.

Whenever I listen to Jimmy Smith I have great memories of life in a simpler time. Life that included the Hammond B-3 organ at roller rinks on Friday nights, frozen custard, and real french fries at McDonalds. I miss those times and I miss Jimmy Smith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home